Last updated on June 21st, 2017 at 07:45 pm
Travel is exciting and here in the U.S. travel is relatively a safe past-time. But there are some precautions that you can take to help reduce the chance of a disaster.
Here are 5 Tips to help you stay safe while you are on vacation:
- Be aware of your surroundings and research the city you plan your visit. Most U.S. cities have good neighborhoods and not so good neighborhoods. Do some research on which areas of town are the safest before making arrangements for lodging. For example, in northeast Atlanta is the area known as Kirkwood which is an area known for its gang activity, but just 12 miles away is the area known as Buckhead that is one of the nicer suburbs of Atlanta. This plan should also include consideration for transportation arrangements. You may feel comfortable taking public transportation in the day, but late at night feel more comfortable opting for a taxi.
- Try not to look the part of a tourist. Lose the fanny pack, Hawaiian shirt (unless you’re actually in Hawaii) and the camera. Leave expensive jewelry at home and carry your cash in your front pocket in a money clip. Opt to use a credit card rather than cash whenever possible.
- Make sure if you are going to be hiking that someone knows your starting location and when you plan to return. Tell them that you will call them when you get back and that if they haven’t heard from you in a certain time frame then they should call for help.
- Make sure you have important numbers and address handy and with you, such as your hotel, and an emergency contact. It is also a good idea to have a hard copy of any reservations you may have made and confirmation numbers for any tickets you may have purchased in advance of your trip, as well as addresses for those locations. For extra ease, you might also have addresses for grocery stores and restaurants that are on your list to try. This helps you to not wander around looking lost!
- Trust your instincts! If you feel uncomfortable then err on the side of caution.Tell us: How do you stay safe while you are traveling?