So, you’re headed to Houston, maybe for work, perhaps for the big football game that happens to be there this year. Nevertheless, you will need some things to do while you are in town, and we have some great suggestions.
Here are our top picks for things to do in Houston, Texas!
Houston Museum of Natural Science:
*On busy days it can get quite crowded and might require parking a good distance away.
*It is a large museum, depending on how much you read at each exhibit it could take you the entire day (or more!)
Tickets are $25 for adults and $15 for kids
* Bring some cash and purchase food to feed the giraffes! The kids get a kick out of feeding them!
* If you are worried about the heat in the warmer months, there are several ‘chill out’ stations with air conditioning.
* If you go right at opening, you might just get a glimpse of the animals having breakfast and have smaller crowds to contend with!
Houston Arboretum and Nature Center
*This place is great for some easy hikes, if you keep your eyes open, you can even see turtles sunning themselves on the trails.
* There isn’t an admission fee but they do accept donations.
*The discovery room is a fantastic spot for budding scientists, just be warned, you may not get them out!
Contemporary Arts Museum Houston
*This museum is better suited for adults, or older children. Trust us, your younger kids will either make you nervous here or be bored.
* Admission is free!
* Discovery Green is a park, that is great for getting wiggles out of little ones
* Canoes are available for rent and are affordable at $5 per kid
* In addition to the playground there is also a fountain area, so bring clothes that you don’t mind getting wet!
Space Center Houston
* This museum can easily take up an entire day, so get there early!
* Book the Tram Tour and the Plane/Shuttle Tour online so that you can skip the lines.
* There are lots of things for kids to do, some of which are for an extra fee, don’t let that catch you off guard
*Admission is $29.95 for adults and $24.95 for kids. Parking is an additional $
Check out our list of 10 Must See Attractions in Texas (hint: the Space Center is one!)
Children’s Museum of Houston
* Be sure to check out Kidtropolis, an area that is like a city that kids can be in charge of.
* Stash a change of clothes in the car in case your kiddos get soaking wet at Waterworks, it has been known to happen.
*The museum is closed on Mondays and mornings seem to be their slowest time, so plan accordingly.
* Food can be purchased for feeding the stingrays, make sure to do this!
* There is a Ferris wheel that can be ridden, we suggest that you take the time to do this!
* Outside there is a train that can be ridden to see the giant shark tank.
These are just a few of our picks for things to do in Houston, Texas. We’d love to hear about your favorite spots!